The minutes of the meetings of the Milledgeville Audubon Society range from its inception in 1930 through November of 1968. The society first met at the Baptist Church on December 8, 1930 with 8 members. At the 2nd meeting on January 5, 1931, the "Constitution" was presented and adopted. In the beginning, it was also called the "Bird Club." The main purpose at the onset of the society was for the protection of migratory birds, and teaching young people about the preservation of birdlife. The M.A.S. was a member of the Georgia and National Ornithological Societies.
Milledgeville Audubon Society. Special Collections, Ina Dillard Russell Library, Georgia College & State University